April 13, 2020
To help you navigate these uncertain times, we’ve compiled timely news and resources related to small business, education and connectivity. We hope this provides both information and comfort as we continue to weather these challenges.
- The COVID-19 pandemic means millions of children have been shut out of schools for the foreseeable future. In his op-ed for The Dallas Morning News, Chairman Jakes explains how the coronavirus is exposing the stark digital divide in the country and sets out three tangible steps we can take to close the gap.
- Chairman Jakes interviews U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-S.C.) about the $2 trillion stimulus package, focusing on the details of the $350 billion small-business loan program, which can be converted to a grant if used for payroll or forgivable expenses.
- Chairman Jakes speaks with attorney Bakari Sellers and CEO Kenneth Kelly about the economic impact of COVID-19 and what the government relief package means for American households, small businesses, religious institutions and nonprofits.
- As part of a wide-ranging discussion, Chairman Jakes speaks with WNYC’s Rebecca Carroll about faith, family, racism and his efforts to bring greater opportunity to underserved communities across the country.
- With millions of people now relying on the internet for work, healthcare, education and shopping, new research finds that most people in 62% of counties across the United States did not have the government’s minimum download speed for broadband internet, according to a report published by The Guardian.
- Nicol Turner-Lee, a fellow at the Brookings Center for Technology Innovation and a member of the T.D. Jakes Foundation in-house STEAM think tank, writes an op-ed for The Hill, urging lawmakers to make broadband internet more widely available by parking Wi-Fi-enabled buses beside low-income communities.
- Are you a displaced worker looking for job opportunities? We’ve compiled job opportunities in essential sectors such as grocery and drug stores and restaurants, along with remote opportunities in technology. Find them here.
- Owning a business is never easy, but it’s even more challenging now, with so many owners unable to meet overhead or pay salaries. Click here to learn more about the resources available to small-business owners.
Together, we can and will get through this.
President & CEO
T.D. Jakes Foundation
Back to News & Insights